Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me...

Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me through this story...

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Forgiveness

     Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
                Mark 11:25

     Often when a missionary goes out into the field they usually come back impacted and humbled by those they were serving.  I had one such encounter this week.
      I was at one of our sites in the Bronx this past Thursday and met two women, Linda and Eleanor.  Both are currently in the shelter system of New York City.  Upon meeting Eleanor I could immediately tell that she was mentally challenged.  As Eleanor began to share her story my heart broke.  She told me of her dream to be a spokesperson for the mentally challenged.  She told me of her three children.  She told me of her desires to move out of the city and down to Delaware.  As I was listening and trying to assess what we could do to help her I was shocked and humbled by her prayer request.  She asked me to pray for the strength forgive her cousin.  Two years ago Eleanor’s cousin impregnated her thirteen year old daughter.  She told me that she struggled with forgiving her cousin for doing this, but she realizes that she will not be able to move forward with anything in her life unless she first forgives.  Wow...
     How often do we hold onto anger and hatred for both simple and major things that don't even compare what Eleanor must deal with?  How often do I?  I was reminded of this verse in Mark when driving home that day.  What Eleanor realizes is it’s not that God won't forgive you if you don't forgive, but it’s that He simply can't forgive you.  As Christians we are called to bear the light of Christ's love, hope, compassion, and forgiveness to a dark world.  How can we accomplish any of this if we harbor any kind of bitterness or hatred towards anyone of our Father's children regardless of their sin?
      Please pray for Eleanor.  Please pray for me as God continues to work in my heart.  And please pray for the ministry as we bring love, hope, healing, and forgiveness into in some of the darkest and most violent places of New York City. 

 From left to right: Eleanor, myself, and Linda.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. OH son, I thought I was a compassionate person. How wrong I am.

    As you share your stories, I am more humbled then ever to GOD's eyes and HIS heart.

    Thank you for surrendering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Mon... It's only the beginning. God will burn away all the dross of our lives as long as we will let him. Glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete