Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me...

Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me through this story...

Monday, December 20, 2010

Day in the Life...

This Saturday while serving in the South Bronx I met a couple whose names were Nelson and Kimberly.  They were looking for Josiah (another urban missionary), but he was in Harlem that day.  While I called Josiah so Kimberly could say hello, Nelson told me that he had just started alcoholics anonymous just two days prior.  Unfortunately he gave into the urge and drank that morning, as his breath could attest to.  After Kimberly got off the phone with Josiah I asked if I could pray for them.  Before, during, and after the prayer I could sense the remorse in Nelson's spirit as I encouraged him and prayed for strength to overcome his addiction.  After the prayer Kimberly gave me a hug and drew me close to her as if she wanted to whisper something in my ear.  She wished me a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.  The only problem was that this was no where near a whisper!  As I said goodbye and rubbed my ear as it rang, I couldn't help but smile and laugh at the innocence of this gesture and the poor judgement of her whisper.  As they walked away I went to check on the outreach operation and was struck with an amazing feeling of love for this job!  I love the fact that when we go to our sites the only guarantee is that God shows up!  Here are some of the happenings just this week...


  - I was able to bless an elderly man named Jeremiah by doing something as simple as setting him up with an email so he will be able to send his resume to potential employers.
  - I assisted Austin (another urban missionary) in helping a homeless man get back to Minnesota to see his wife.
  - I gave hope to a young man named Matthew by praying for him and getting him information on housing.
  - Personally handed out hundreds of servings of soup.
  - Was able to share my story, faith, and our mission with another organization that was handing out condoms and syringes on the street.
  - Met, spoke with, and connected with one of the scariest people I've ever met (a lifetime street fighter and war veteran)!
  - Hosted and started a friendship with a college student named Chad who served with us this week on a short-term missions trip.
  - Prayed with numerous people, giving them hope and introducing Christ into whatever situation they found themselves in.

I could continue on for pages more :-)...

Please continue to pray for our mission of reaching the hopeless on the streets of NYC.  Everyday is a new adventure of changed lives and seeds planted...


I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas this year!


                    A snapshot of the outreach in the South Bronx this past Saturday...

1 comment:

  1. You are doing more to help people each week than many people will ever do in a lifetime. Great job Lance. Stay warm out there!

    Juan

    ReplyDelete