Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me...

Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me through this story...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

planting seeds...

One of the sites that I regularly lead is in the South Bronx on 148th & Brook Ave.  Although I've become somewhat established, my first day at the site was anything but a cake walk.  That was the day I met Emma and Samaya.  For lack of a better word these two women initially gave me hell.  They were screaming, cursing, and making our other guests feel very uncomfortable.  After "politely" asking them to stop and it not working I decided to use a firmer tactic.  I put my hands on Emma's shoulders, looked her in the eye, and told her that her behavior was completely unacceptable and she was making my job very difficult.  That was around three months ago and since then these two women have become my biggest fans.  Every Saturday we joke around, I encourage them to give up their drugs and methadone program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methadone), and minister to them whatever way I can.
     This past Saturday I saw my two friends in rare form.  Samaya was already high and could barely stand.  Emma had just taken her prescribed dosage of methadone (mixed with other things not prescribed).  In the midst of asking Emma about her week, she turned to me and I saw tears in her eyes.  I asked her why she was crying and she responded by telling me I was making her sad.  She continued to tell me that every week she comes I tell her what she's doing is wrong and she's starting to realize her actions are killing her.  A few minutes after this I saw the drugs starting to take over Emma's nerves.  Around this time another outreach team leader, Yaz, came to help me with Emma.  I left for a few minutes to check on our volunteers and when I came back I saw Emma on the ground weeping before the Master praying for healing and deliverance.
     Coming home that day I was reminded of something one of my professors told us, "not all paths lead to God, but Christ will meet you on whatever path you walk."  For the past three months I have done my best to be Jesus to these women and love them for who they are, not who they could be.  It broke my heart to see Emma on the ground weeping, but I believe that this will be the first on many steps towards healing.  Please pray for Samaya and Emma.  And as always please continue praying for our mission as we continue to bring hope, healing, light, and love to New York City.  Grace & Peace...
                                     Samaya on the left and Emma on the right

                                              Emma weeping before Master

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! That story is touching. I will keep both Emma and Samaya in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is a lighthouse in the storm, a roadblock on the path to hell, a voice of reason and hope in the chaos and darkness of the world. I'm praying for Samaya and Emma tonight with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lance for standing in the gap!

    ReplyDelete