Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me...

Grace is a journey, not an event... So come walk with me through this story...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Out of Options... But not really...

        Our goal as a missions organization is to bring help and healing to everyone that comes to the bus.  Although we work very hard at this, unfortunately sometimes we can only do so much.  When I come across these times of running out of options the only thing I can do is give it to God in prayer.  And He never seems to fail...
        I had one such encounter this past Saturday in the Bronx.  There is a woman named Karen that I've been working with for about a month now.  A Bronx resident, Karen is in the city shelter system desperately looking for an SRO (single room occupancy).  For about a month now I've been working with her to make this a reality.  Unfortunately we've been running into a few dead ends.  She came to the bus this past Saturday for lunch and to say hello.  Despite the fact there were no new developments this week, she greeted me with a smile and a big hug.  As we were talking I felt an anger come over my spirit.  I was angry at myself for not being able to provide the right resource.  As we continued talking one of our regular guests , Connie, butted into the conversation.  She informed both of us of different resources and organizations in the south Bronx.  Everything from attorneys to co-ops, Connie seemed to know exactly where to send Karen to get her a permanent place to live.  Furthermore Connie gave Karen (a complete stranger) her cell phone number just in case she had any questions this week.
        As I saw this unfold right in front of me I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  As I alluded to in my last blog, our job is not to bring healing, but to facilitate what the Master is already preparing.  He never seems to stop reminding me of this... Grace & peace...
                                             Myself with Connie and Karen

1 comment:

  1. You are an awesome facilitator of what God is doing on the streets. Keep up the good work Lance.

    ReplyDelete