"Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit began shouting, 'Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are - the Holy One of God!"
Every Tuesday morning the Relief Bus prays and worships together. We pray for each other, for those we minister to, and anyone else God puts on our hearts. This past Tuesday while worshiping I started to read the book of Mark and was struck by the word "interfering."
Being a missionary I'm often told that I'm on the front lines against what Satan is doing on the streets. However, doing this everyday I sometimes I lose sight of that. After reading this passage I started to wonder if I am, in fact, "interfering" with the enemy or if I've become a slave to the routine. It was a humbling question to ask. I started to think about specific people that I've developed a relationship with over this past year and wonder if I've done my part in effectively showing them the love of Christ. It was then I realized I needed to be recharged.
Therefore I am humbly asking for your support. Many of you have come by my side financially and kept my bank account stable and for that I thank you (and please don't stop as I am getting married in December)! But if you can, please pray that God continues to spiritually sustain me in my ministry here at the Relief Bus. God is working in the lives of some amazing people and I do not want to miss it because of fatigue! Here are a few examples of people God has put in my life. Please partner with me in praying that God continue to reveal his love to each of these individuals and neighborhoods!
- "S": A friend of mine who is currently looking for a job. He also struggles with loneliness.
- "S2": An older gentleman who is very intellectual, but hates Christians. Despite his disdain, every week we go back and forth on multiple issues. Through this friendly banter we've developed a genuine friendship. Pray that he sees Christ through our interactions.
- "J": A homeless man who has completely given up on everything and embraced his identity as an outcast.
The South Bronx
- John Owens: Many of you that follow my posts will remember John. I pulled John out of the South Bronx and connected him with a discipleship program in Newark. He is doing excellent, but please pray that God continue to open doors for the future-schooling, job, housing, ect.
- Alice: Continued healing from back surgery. Also peace and direction for her children.
- "J": A retired FDNY fireman who struggles with alcoholism.
Newark's South Ward
- The Seth Boyden Projects: A month ago we received the official word that the city will be closing the projects in the fall. Pray that we continue to see God moving in the hearts of the families we have had the pleasure of ministering to throughout the years.
- "JR": A very good friend of mine who despite being homeless continues to hold onto hope for the future.
Newark's North Ward
- Praise for a recent addition to our volunteer team. Tara, a teacher in Newark, has agreed to develop a children's discipleship program at our site in north Newark.
- Broadway Town Houses: This is our first summer at this spot and we are already starting to see the "animation" that comes with the summer months! Pray for peace and protection in this neighborhood where we minister. Pray that God would continue bringing the homeless, the addicted, the prostitute, and the lonely to our newest site in Newark's North Ward.
- Please continue to pray for April and I are we plan our wedding! I am beyond excited to see what God has in store for my future wife and I!
- My brother Samuel is leaving this week on an extended missions trip to Africa. Please pray for safety and guidance for him!
- My brother-in-law Josiah recently graduated from law school. As he prepares for the bar pray that God would open the right doors for him and my sister as they continue to move forward!
Thank you for your continued support! Grace and Peace to you all in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ...